- Please note that McMaster University and the Michael G DeGroote School of Medicine reserve the right to cancel and/or withdraw any electives if any required documentation is outstanding.
- Once an elective has been secured, changes are not permitted. This applies to dates and specialties. Any requests for changes to a secured elective will only be processed through cancellation and re-application (fees and cancellation policy will apply).
Computer/IT/Patient File Access
In order to set you up with the appropriate computer access, you will need to determine if your elective is taking place at any of the following Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS) sites: McMaster University Medical Center (MUMC), Juravinski or Hamilton General Hospital (HGH). If the elective is taking place at any of the sites listed above, this is the process for obtaining computer access:
- Email the placement contact – whose name and email is listed on the confirmation email you received via AFMC – to see if you need computer access.
- Once they respond and let you know that you need computer access for your elective, complete the confidentiality agreement form (found on McMaster institution profile page on AFMC) and send it back to your placement contact
- Forms will only be accepted if they are saved and sent as .docx or .pdf files > please title the form as follows: “ELECTIVE START DATE – LAST NAME, FIRST NAME – CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT FORM” – forms that are not received in this format will not be accepted and processed.
- You will need to get in touch with the placement contact closer to the elective start date to determine how they will provide you with your computer access information.
If your elective is taking place at St. Joseph’s Hospital ,Charlton Campus, this is the process for obtaining computer access:
- Email your placement contact to determine if you require computer access. If so, you will need to find out if you need Clinical Browser or PACS Imaging System.
- After registration with visiting electives office on the first day of your elective, you can head to your elective at SJH (You will need to McMaster ID badge provided from registration to obtain your computer account information from SJH). Computer account information can be picked up from G220. Students requiring access to Clinical Brower can ask for Cynthia Martin (905.522.1155. ext 33912). Students requiring access to PACS Imaging system can ask for Mark O’Connor (905.522.1155 ext 34353).
If your elective is taking place at St. Joseph’s Hospital, West 5th Campus for a Psychiatry elective, you can simply head to your elective. If you have any difficulties with security, please contact your Psychiatry placement contact, Lisa.
If your elective is taking place at a HHS site AND St. Joseph’s hospital, please follow both processes to ensure you get computer access at each site.
***Please note that not all departments will grant computer access, so you will need to contact your placement contact (their name and email can be found on the confirmation email from AFMC) to see if you need access for your elective. If you do not require access, then please ignore the process above ***
Students must be cleared for clinical placement by the McMaster Health Screening Office before they may start their elective. For immunization requirements, please visit our institution profile page on AFMC and click on AFMC immunization and McMaster Blood Borne Viruses. Visit the McMaster Visiting Electives Health Screening website for more information. For immunization questions or concerns, contact the Health Screening Office, email firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone 905-525-9140 ext 22249
Registration will take place on the Monday of the first day of your elective at McMaster University in the Michael G DeGroote Centre for Learning (MDCL) building in Room 3101. Please note that if your elective start date falls on a holiday, then we will register at the same time on the Tuesday morning.
Typically, registration will start at 8:30am. However, if we have a large group of students registering with us that morning, the start time will be staggered and is likely that you will be asked to register earlier or later than 8:30am. An email from Emma Whitford will be sent out the week before your elective start date to confirm what time you will be starting. Please do not be late to your scheduled registration time.
If your elective is taking place outside of Hamilton OR at a private practice, then you are NOT required to register with us, you can head straight to your elective.
When you arrive at MDCL Room 3101 for registration, please have a seat in our foyer. Someone will come to get you. Registration will consist of the following: (i) confirmation of your elective details with Emma Whitford (or another staff member), (ii) receiving a security and scrubex access card and (iii) having your photo taken for your ID badge. Your security and scrubex access and your ID badge will all be on 1 card. This card will provide you security access to any restricted areas at whichever hospital(s) you will be at (if you are at more than one hospital, please let whoever is registering you know), it will provide you access to the ScrubEx machines at the hospital and it will act as an ID badge. If you have any questions at that time, please do not hesitate to ask.
Visiting Electives Office Contact Information
- For any general questions or concerns regarding your elective, please do not hesitate to contact the visiting electives office via email at @ email@example.com or by phone at 905.525.9140 ext. 20256 or / ext. 21134
- For specific questions regarding the elective, such as elective location, schedule, etc. please contact the department/preceptor directly.