References are now completed by your referees on-line. For instructions, please visit: www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-referees/
You are required to ask 3 different individuals to provide a reference on your behalf. At least 1 of your 3 referees should be academic- or employment-related and 1 should be personal (non-academic). The third reference can be of your choosing.
Select referees who have extensive personal knowledge of you and, as a result, are in a position to answer the Confidential Assessment Form (CAF) questions.
New for 2020: In order for referees to provide uniform information that admission committees are specifically looking for from the reference process, each of your referees will be asked to fill out a CAF. It is your responsibility to inform your referees that they must fill out the CAF, and that additional letters of reference will no longer be accepted.
On the CAF, your references will be asked to respond to the following:
- Would this applicant make a good physician?
- Rate the applicant on each of the following attributes:
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Professionalism (e.g., commitment to ethical practice, standards of behaviour and accountability to others)
- Empathy (e.g., demonstrating consideration of others’ perspectives)
- Identify and comment on 1 area of improvement for the applicant.
- Share any other information you feel may be relevant to a medical school’s admission committee.
References are due on October 1st along with the remainder of your application. However, McMaster will accept late references, up to December 1st, when referees are unable to meet the deadline, without penalty to the applicant.
Requests for references should be sent to your referees by September 15th to allow enough time for them to complete their on-line reference by the deadline.